HDB flats sold under the Home Ownership Scheme are meant for owner-occupation by the owners and their families. However, flat owners may sublet their whole flat or spare rooms if they meet the eligibility conditions.

To sublet the whole flat, prior approval from HDB is needed. For subletting of rooms, no approval from HDB is required but flat owners must continue to live in the flat during the period of subletting and comply with other subletting conditions.

To avoid committing the offence of harbouring immigration offenders, we advise flat owners to check and ensure that their foreign subtenants are legally allowed to stay in
Singapore when subletting their whole flat or rooms.

This service package provides information on subletting of whole HDB flats and rooms. It also allows flat owners to submit online applications for transactions relating to subletting of HDB flats and requests to check foreign subtenants' immigration and employment status.

HDB owners who wish to sublet their flats are required to submit an application to HDB for approval. For subletting under the two categories below, application must be submitted online by clicking here

Category K – Flat owners who have occupied their non-subsidized flat (flat purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant) for at least 3 years;

Category L – Flat owners who have occupied their subsidized flat (flat purchased directly from the HDB or from the open market with a CPF housing grant) for at least 5 years.

However, this does not apply to cases where owners are overseas and their Attorney is submitting the subletting application on their behalf. For these cases, the Attorney is required to submit the application personally to the HDB Branch Office managing the flat (for the appointment of an Attorney, owners have to consult their own solicitors).

Applications for subletting of flat under other categories may be submitted online or personally to the HDB Branch Office managing the flat.

Regardless of the mode of submission, the applications must be submitted together with the required supporting documents (e.g. Doctor’s certification of illness, Power of Attorney).

You can do it online, by clicking here

Or you can go personally, click below for more details here